Mr. Lokyan, the admission for the 2020-2021 academic year was organized on an online platform at the Academy. What were the results?
-Yes, for the 2020-2021 academic year the admission to the full-time programs, from the submission of documents to exams, was organized online.
Summarizing the results, it should be noted that they are quite pleasing since we had unprecedented growth in the applicants’ number (60% more applicants compared to last year).
Due to the labor market trends, supply and demand of specialties, certain study programs provided a large flow of applicants. Those programs are MBA in online and full-time formats, Public Administration, Public Governance and Local-Self-Government, Law. It is gratifying to see that this year the applicants have shown interest in the “Tourism Management” program as well, which testifies to the importance of the area.
We can state that the problems related to the online admission were solved due to proper organization. In this respect, I should state that our experience in organizing distance learning which we gained as a result of cooperation with our European partner, Dresden University of Technology was of great help to us. After thoroughly studying it, we were convinced that the consortium platform that we had created would also be effective for the further organization of teaching.
– And what was the full-time students’ reaction to distance-learning?
– Of, course there were contradictory opinions. A large number of students had concerns about whether distance learning could be effective. However, everybody understood that the process was conditioned by the situation. And some of them willingly accepted the challenge, since in this way it was possible for them to combine work and solve the problem of moving from a region to the city. Of course, face-to-face communication in education that the majority of teachers prefer is quite important, but sometimes regardless of our wishes, we have to adapt to the situation and obey the fixed rules.
– What do you think? Is the distance learning effective?
-In my opinion, only distance learning is not a very effective means if compared to the classical form of learning. But let us view in in another dimension. Nowadays people are busy or have mobility problems and full-time/face-to-face learning is not suitable for everyone. In this case, distance learning comes to the rescue. I think in the upcoming decade, the hybrid or combined form of learning will occupy a considerable place in the education system and its positive results won’t make us wait long.
– In the current situation, what privileged did the Academy provide to the students?
– First, a number of privileges were defined through state programs. We in our turn came up with a range of assistance programs. The most essential of them was the application of a rather flexible system of fee reduction, which eased the financial burden of many of our students.
– On September 15, the new academic year starts in the country, as well as at the Academy. What will be your message to the students?
– First of all, I want to welcome all those brave students who do not consider the current situation an obstacle and exercise their constitutional right to education. PAARA desires to educate such a conscious and brave generation, ready to face any challenge. I welcome everyone and wish them a successful academic year. I also assure them that we are ready to stand with them in any situation, to listen to and discuss their problems and make pro-student decisions.
I would also like to mention that PAARA has already launched the online submission of documents for admission to part-time programs. I am convinced that those who matriculate within the part-time programs will also make part of the army that shapes the future of our country.
Interview with the Department of Information and PR